If you’re in need of a roof company, finding the best one for your needs can be a bit confusing. There are many companies out there that offer roofing services and it’s hard to know if they’ll do a good job or not. To make your life easier, here are some things you should look for when selecting a roofing contractor: experience, references, licensing and insurance coverage, a guarantee of workmanship, and the materials they use.
The number of people who have a go-to roof company is declining as it is not an issue that arises very often, and if it does… you should probably change roof company. There are the big companies, smaller family-owned businesses, and everything in between. The market is saturated with choices and it’s hard to know which one will provide you with the best service.
To make your life easier, this guide will help you find the best roof company, cover some of the most popular roofing options – cedar shake roofs, tile, slate, metal, and asphalt. It will also look into whether you need your roof completely replaced, or perhaps it needs a clean. The guide will also cover some things you should look for when selecting a roofing contractor: experience, references, licensing and insurance coverage, guarantees of workmanship, and materials.
The Roof Company guide will outline these factors as well as other important considerations before giving you some pointers to help you make a final decision on which roof company to hire. We cannot make that decision for you but we can help guide you to help you find the one you need.
Table of Contents
What Roof Type is Best For You?
The first step to finding the best roof company is by understanding what roof type is best for you. You may be looking to keep the same roof type that you have already if it is a roof replacement, which one to add if it is a new build, or just considering the available options. Finding a roof company that specializes in the particular type of roof you are looking for is always a good idea. If you have an expert they are likely to know the ins and outs of the particular roof type better than a generalist.
If you are not yet sure which type of roofing you would like to use, below you can find some pros and cons of the various roofing types available.
What Type of Roof to Choose?
Cedar Shake Roofs: Pros and Cons
One roof option that has been around for centuries is the cedar shake or shingle roof. It’s incredibly durable, resistant to all types of weather, low-maintenance, and lasts a lifetime (40 -50 years) if properly maintained. One problem with these roofs is that they’re expensive to buy and install. The roofing material itself costs a lot if you purchase high-quality shakes or shingles. Once you have it installed it is worth keeping it maintained once every 5 – 10 years to get it professionally cleaned and extend its lifespan. A cedar shake or shingle roof should last around 40 – 50 years but many are replaced after only 20 years due to a build-up of organic matter such as fungus, algae, and moss causing it to decay prematurely. This issue can be avoided by cleaning the roof and many roofers will suggest to replace as they are not familiar with the qualities of a cedar shake roof.
There are other roofing options that are cheaper but nothing looks quite as good and beautiful as a cedar shake roof.
Tile Roofs: Pros and Cons
Another roofing option that has been around for centuries is tile roofing. Tile roofing is very durable, which means it’s long-lasting. It’s resistant to fire, wind, hail and it can even help insulate your home a little during the winter months because of its thermal resistance properties. If you live in an area where roofers are available to install your roof, this is likely a great choice for you. However, one downfall of tile roofing is that it’s expensive to buy and install. This is also an option that can be cleaned up and restored to its original condition. Be sure to consult a roof cleaner before getting it replaced.
Slate Roofs: Pros and Cons
Slate roofs are considered to be durable and if kept correctly will last for a long time. If you’re looking for a roof that will stand the test of time, slate roofing could be a great option for you. However, these roof tiles do come with a high price tag. They are also prone to snap and break if put under any stress and this can happen naturally from strong wind or adverse weather conditions.
Metal Roofs: Pros and Cons
This roofing choice is made from various metals combined with polymer resin. Metal roofing isn’t recognized for its beauty like roof options such as cedar shake roofing, slate roofing, or tile roofing. However, it is recognized for being extremely durable in extreme weather conditions. If you live in an area with high winds and severe thunderstorms during the spring and summer months, this roof option will likely serve you well. One big benefit of metal roofing is that it’s lightweight, which means it can be easily installed. However, the initial cost can be very high.
Asphalt Roofs: Pros and Cons
The last roof option we’ll mention today – asphalt roofing. This roofing choice has been one of the most popular roofing materials for decades because it’s affordable, lightweight, and easy to install. Asphalt roofing is comprised of several layers that are combined with crushed stone or gravel, asphalt cement, and a polymer resin binder. The downside to asphalt roofing is that it struggles during high winds and severe thunderstorms. This roofing choice also tends to lose its color over time, which can cause it to look tired and weathered, often a professional roof cleaning with resolve this issue. There are also professional asphalt roof repair companies who can be used if a clean is not enough.
Now that you understand roof types and the pros and cons of each type, it’s time to find a roofer in your area so you can get roofing prices for roof replacement or roof repair.
What Roof Company Service do You Require?
Roofing services can vary depending on what roof you have/need. Some roofers will only offer services for a particular roof type, this is why it’s important to have an idea of what you want the roofer to do before hiring them for your project or asking how much it will cost. You should make sure to get a quote from a roof reliable and professional roof cleaner and also get a free quote from the roofer before making any commitments so that you know what all the costs are going to be beforehand. Making sure to get a few different quotes will allow you to compare their services and prices and find the most suitable for you.
When roof damage has been caused by a roof leak, roofing material hail or roofing materials from a roof collapse, roof replacement is needed. Depending on the severity of the damage, roofers can provide a roof replacement in a timely fashion with a repair. If the only thing that needs to be replaced is a single shingle or tile, then it can be swept off and cleaned in no time at all. However, if the roof replacement is a more complex that involves roof tear-off and a new roof installation then this will obviously take some time and the cost will rise sharply.
Depending on the condition of the roof… there is normally another option. If the roof looks aged, has algae, fungus, off-colored marks, organic growth, or any sort of infestation the roof can normally be cleaned and restored into good health. This will cost around 5% of the price of a roof replacement and increase the lifespan of the roof by years. It is always worth getting a free quote from a professional roof cleaner and seeing if they believe it can be saved and what condition it will be in afterward.
Roof repairs are typically needed when there is a leak in the roof or shingles have been blown off by the wind. These types of repairs need to be done quickly because water damage can occur if they’re not. The cost of these types of roof repairs can vary depending on the type of roofing material used on your home. There are roofing companies that specialize in roof repairs, so be sure to search for roof repair companies if you’re having water leaks or other problems.
If a roof repair is needed, roofers can typically carry it out within a day or two. The cost of this will be substantially less than that of a replacement.
Roof repair should be combined with cleaning in order to get a roof back into good health.
There are roofers who will offer roof repair services, roof installation services, and roof cleaning services. However, some roofers may only provide one or two of these services and you will need to ensure you have the correct company to fit your needs. If you need an entirely new roof for your house then you should hire the best roofer that offers roof replacement and roof installation services. If you need to have a section repaired find a company that specializes in repairs and matching your current roof so the repair blends in seamlessly.
Which Roofing Company to Choose?
Roofing costs and quotes will vary not only with roof material and roof type but also with roof size, and for each different roof company. You should make sure to get roof quotes from various roofers in the roofing industry before making any commitments so that you know what the costs are going to be.
To hire the best company for you, you will need to know a few things.
- Do you have the property owners’ permission to request this work?
- Is this for residential, commercial roofing, or industrial?
- What are you looking to have done? Repairs? Replacement? Cleaning?
- What would you consider to be a reasonable and affordable price?
When hiring a roofer, as well as knowing what it is that you would like it is important to check them out as much as possible, we have listed a few key points to help you:
- Check out their previous reviews from other customers in order to ensure you will have a high quality end product and a straight forwards experience from a reliable professional. You can find reviews online using various platforms such as Google my Business, Yelp, The Yellow Pages, TrustPilot, etc. Do an online search on Google for reviews on this roof company. Also go onto the Trust Pilot website (works like Trip Advisor) to check any reviews that may be posted about them there. The reviews you find on their website or are pushed by them may not be representative of their overall customer experience.
- Explore their company website first. On company websites you will be able to view all of the different types of roofs they offer service for, their available services, how much they charge for different types of repairs or installations, roofing warranties, roofing discounts if they are offered, roofer profiles and roofers resume’ to view their specialities in roof repair or roof installation.
- Ask a friend or acquaintance – sometimes they will know about companies and can recommend one that they have used in the past.
- Ask people who have had recent work done – If you see a neighbor who you may or may not know, don’t hesitate to ask them. They will likely be happy to let you know if the experience went well or to stay away.
- Call the company to discuss your needs, most will be happy to discuss what you need and offer a quote. See the feeling you get over the phone, a lot can be decided by the tone of voice and the feeling you get.
- Insurance. It is worth checking if they have an insurance company or are able to provide proof of any professional insurance.
- What is their expertise? Do they offer a wide range of services or do they offer a particular niché?
- How wide is their service area? If they are a large company then you are not likely to get the person (if any) who is spoken about on their website. They will likely have a team covering each of the surrounding areas.
- Do they offer a free estimate, quote, or evaluation? How do they carry out their evaluations, in person, by satellite?
- Do they offer affordable prices?
- Are they personable, do you feel they value their customers or are you just the next roofing project?
- Do they specialize in your type of building? Some companies may work with a specific type of client such as: commercial clients, industrial clients, or residential clients. If you request a quote for your residential property from a company who specializes in large scale industrial warehouse roofs then you will not likely get the response you are looking for.
- Do they offer a guarantee or warranty?
- Do they protect the surroundings while they work or perhaps the rest of the building or buildings?
- What do they recommend in terms of care and maintenance? This is especially important for a cedar shake or shingle roof.
- Do they have a physical business location that you can visit if needed? A commercial location is useful for building trust as it is not just a virtual business that is untraceable.
Your Roofing Project
Once you have concerned all the options, got your free estimates, free evaluation and quote you can put them all together, work out which will be most suitable for your particular job and then contact them. If there are some that you feel particularly good about and are happy with the service then you can look again at any previous customers reviews, previous work they have carried out, and make your choice.